At the City Council meeting Feb. 9, a Franchise agreement was agreed upon and a contract signed with Local Sanitation to provide trash collection service in the City of Ivanhoe.
The idea was discussed at a Town Hall Meeting in January. At this meeting, the Council decided to go out for bids. Piney Woods and Local Sanitation submitted bids.
A committee which was appointed to open the bids, analyze pros and cons of each one, and come up with a recommendation, made the recommendation to enter into the agreement with Local Sanitation. Details of the agreement are outlined below.
The cost per customer will be $20.00 per month. That will represent a discount for most customers while providing a Franchise Fee to be paid to the City.
This will actually take effect on April 1, 2017. You will be contacted by Local Sanitation before that date in order to enter into a new agreement. While contracting for trash collection is not mandatory, if you wish to have trash collection service after April 1, 2017, you will be required to use the services of Local Sanitation (409-224-1780) as they will be the exclusive provider of this service.
The following stipulations were included in the Ordinance:
1. Participation is not mandatory; however, if residents wish to participate in the service Local Sanitation will be the sole service provider.
2. Local Sanitation will be responsible for contracting, billing and collection of fees.
3. All trash receptacles must be provided by Local Sanitation (referred to as trashcans), they must be dark green in color and have the Local Sanitation logo.
4. A deposit for the use of said trashcans will be charged by Local Sanitation.
5. In the event of lost, stolen or damaged trashcans, a non-refundable fee will be charged as agreed upon between the City and Local Sanitation.
6. Trashcans can be left at the curb for a period no longer that 24 hours at a time.
7. Dumpsters are not allowed to be used on residential properties except for demolition or construction, and can only remain on the property for a period of 30 days. A permit for dumpster use must be obtained from the City and can be extended if necessary.
8. Dumpsters placed on commercial property must be enclosed in a privacy fence and not visible from the street.
9. All dumpsters placed within the City of Ivanhoe must be dark green in color and display the Local Sanitation logo.
— Committee Analysis and Recommendation Presented to the Council Feb. 9, 2017.
— Contract Between City of Ivanhoe and Local Sanitation Final
— 2017-6 Franchise Agreement for Collection of Solid Waste